Arts Access Awards 2017: nominations call
Do you want to see an outstanding disabled artist recognised? Or how about a leader providing access to the arts for people in New Zealand? Nominations to this year’s Arts Access Awards, presented annually by Arts Access Aotearoa, close on Monday 3 April 2017.
The Arts Access Awards celebrate the contribution of individuals, groups and organisations in providing access to the arts. They also acknowledge the achievements and contribution of a New Zealand-based artist with a physical, sensory or intellectual impairment, or lived experience of mental ill-health.
Richard Benge, Executive Director of Arts Access Aotearoa, says the Arts Access Awards play an important role in profiling excellence and leadership in the arts and disability sectors. They also highlight leaders in the use of the arts as a tool supporting the rehabilitative process of prisoners and their reintegration back into society on release.
“Making nominations is a great way people can get involved in celebrating New Zealand’s leaders of access to the arts – often the unsung heroes of society who make a real difference,” Richard says.
“Industry judging panels select the award recipients but ensuring you nominate your leaders is a vital part of the process. Without a nomination, they cannot be considered.”
The six award categories are:
- Arts Access Artistic Achievement Award, recognising the outstanding achievements and contribution of a New Zealand-based artist, who has a physical, sensory or intellectual impairment, or lived experience of mental ill-health
- Arts Access Creative Space Award, recognising the outstanding contribution and impact of a creative space that provides opportunities for people with limited access to make art, across any or all artforms
- Arts Access CQ Hotels Wellington Community Partnership Award, recognising a mutually beneficial partnership between two or more organisations or groups actively engaged in a community-based arts project
- Arts Access Creative New Zealand Arts For All Award, recognising a performing arts company, festival, literary organisation, venue, producer or gallery that best demonstrates its commitment to building new audiences by becoming more accessible to disabled and Deaf people.
- Arts Access Corrections Leadership Award, recognising the outstanding contribution of a New Zealand prison or Community Corrections site, using the arts as a tool to support the rehabilitation of offenders or their reintegration into the community.
- Arts Access Corrections Community Award, recognising the outstanding contribution of a community group, organisation or individual working with the Department of Corrections and using the arts as a tool to support the rehabilitation of offenders or their reintegration into the community on release.
Each of the six awards has a nomination form. You are able to nominate yourself or others. For more information, contact Claire Noble at Arts Access Aotearoa (T: 04 802 4349 E: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For the two Arts Access Corrections Awards, contact Jacqui Moyes, Arts in Corrections Advisor, Arts Access Aotearoa (T: 04 802 4349 E: email@example.com) for more information.
Nominations close at 5pm on Monday 3 April 2017.
Download the nomination forms
Please read the FAQs first and then download the nomination forms.