Deaf and disabled artists’ initiative
1 February 2021
This Deaf and disabled artists’ initiative is about supporting Deaf and disabled artists to create work and develop their creative practice. We welcome *artists, writers and makers of all artforms.
The initiative is in the planning stage and will be developed in collaboration with **Deaf and disabled artists. If you are a Deaf or disabled artist and want to stay up-to-date with these developments please fill out the form below, or contact Stace Robertson, Access, Inclusion and Participation Advisor, Arts Access Aotearoa (E: email@example.com T: 04 802 4349).
The next steps are to build a test website, and begin compiling resources and information. If you have ideas for useful resources, tools or information please get in touch. We would love to hear from you. It might be resources you would like to share or resources that you don’t have but would be useful for you.
Once we have a test website, we will send a link to those people who have expressed their interest in this initiative.
The aims of the initiative are to:
- support Deaf and disabled artists, practitioners and community members to create work and develop their creative practice toward sustainable careers
- support Deaf and disabled artists to make work on their own terms
- support Deaf and disabled artists to tell their own stories and histories
- support the development of disabled-led arts projects, initiatives and organisations
- support Deaf and disabled artists to advocate for their right to access arts spaces, funding and resources.
- provide a space for Deaf and disabled artists to network, collaborate and support each other.
The website will include:
- an artists section with a mini gallery and profile on each artist
- a database of accessible performance spaces, rehearsal spaces, studios and galleries
- funding and other opportunities such as internships and residencies.
- information about key issues and areas of advocacy
- tools and resources for Deaf and disabled artists, including resources written and developed by disabled artists
- resources in accessible formats, including Easy Read and New Zealand Sign Language
- a directory of interpreters and audio describers and mobility equipment hire organisations.
*Artists include anyone working in any of the following:
Visual arts, cultural / traditional arts, performance art, dance, theatre, music, writing, sculpture, ceramics
**Deaf or disabled includes anyone who identifies as deaf/Deaf or as having a disability or impairment, including chronic health conditions and mental ill health.
Becoming a part of the Deaf and Disabled artists' initiative
Please fill in the form below. Your name and contact details will be added to Arts Access Aotearoa's database but you can change or remove your details at any stage. This information will be available only to Arts Access Aotearoa staff. We will not provide it to any other party without your prior consent.
Please view our terms and conditions.
* You must enter the fields marked with an asterisk.