The Creative Arts and Cultural Wellbeing Prison Initiative, a partnership between Manatū Taonga in partnership with Ara Poutama Aotearoa, has resulted in investment of $3 million into a dozen arts programmes to be delivered over 2022/23 to 2024/2025.
The programmes range from whakairo and raranga to music therapy, creative writing, theatre and visual art. They are being delivered in 14 prison sites from Invercargill and Otago through to Tongariro, Auckland and Northland.
The programmes being delivered through the Creative Arts and Cultural Wellbeing Prison Initiative will all be evaluated by research companies Point and Associates Ltd and Awa Associates.
The programmes are:
- Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust: delivering their music therapy programme at Auckland Prison and Hawkes Bay Regional Prison Read Music therapy for Hawkes Bay tāne
- Te Mauri Ltd: delivering two programmes – Te Huanui Whakairo (The Pathway of Carving) and Te Oro Whanake (Growth through Music) at Tongariro Prison Read Toi Māori to support heading and rehabilitation
- Koropepe Consulting: delivering Awe Māreikura at Christchurch Women’s Prison Read Wāhine wake up their creative talents
- University of Auckland Ltd: delivering He Mana Wāhine Toi Rongoā at Auckland Region Women's Corrections Facility
- Pathway Trust: delivering its Navigate Initiative’s art and culture programme at Christchurch Men's Prison Read Anaru Bayne's blog
- Praying Mantis Productions Ltd: delivering the Home Ground programme at Arohata Prison and Christchurch Women’s Prison
- Redemption Arts: delivering the Escape Artists Programme at Northland Region Corrections Facility
- Armstrong Creative Ltd: delivering a programme of kōrero/storytelling and theatre acting/devising at Whanganui Prison.
- Annah Mac: delivering The Kōwhai Project, a holistic music programme incorporating singing, songwriting, recording and ukulele to Invercargill Prison, Otago Corrections Facility, Rimutaka Prison, Hawkes Bay Regional Prison and Northland Region Corrections Facility.
- Tuturu Charitable Trust: delivering the Whakahono ki nga wā ō mua programme at Invercargill Prison
- Taro Patch Creative: delivering the Tala Loto Fale programme in Auckland South Corrections Facility and Auckland Prison
- Youth Arts New Zealand: delivering its Te Kāhui creative writing programme online or in person to Mt Eden Corrections Facility, Rimutaka Prison, Otago Corrections Facility, Christchurch Women's Prison, Auckland Region Women's Corrections Facility and Auckland Prison.