CELEBRATING MATARIKI: The arts are flourishing at Northland Region Corrections Facility with works created by the men during New Zealand’s first COVID-19 lockdown on display at the Matariki exhibition at the Quest Art Space in Whangārei. It was called Return of the Dawn.
About Arts in Corrections
The arts and creative expression can be a powerful tool in supporting the rehabilitation process of prisoners and their re-integration back into the community on release.
Arts Access Aotearoa receives funding from the Department of Corrections to provide an Arts in Corrections Advisory Service. There are 18 prisons from Invercargill through to Northland, and a remand centre in New Plymouth. In addition, Community Corrections manages approximately 30,000 offenders in the community.
Through this service, the Arts in Corrections Advisor:
- works with artists, community educators and groups so they can deliver effective arts programmes, workshops and residencies in prisons and in Community Corrections
- facilitates three regional Arts in Corrections Networks
- supports Corrections staff to design and implement effective arts plans for each prison
- supports Corrections staff and volunteers so they can design and deliver effective arts projects, activities and events in prisons and in Community Corrections
- provides advice and links supporting released prisoners to continue art-making in the community.
This section features news updates, events, opportunities and arts activities in prisons around the country. It outlines and profiles the community of people, groups and organisations using the arts to support rehabilitation and reintegration. It also provides research, guidelines and information about the role of the arts in Corrections facilities, both in New Zealand and internationally.
Chris Ulutupu is the Arts in Corrections Advisor, Arts Access Aotearoa. He works Monday to Wednesday. For information, advice and opportunities, please contact Chris (T: 04 802 4349 E: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Every second month, we distribute Arts Access in Corrections, an e-newsletter highlighting news stories, profiles, research and resources.
Download the Arts Access in Corrections e-newsletter
- Read the August 2020 issue
- Read the June 2020 issue
- Read the April 2020 issue
- Read the February 2020 issue
- Read the December 2019 issue
- Read the October 2019 issue
- Read the September 2019 issue